This is a delicious recipe that I made the other night with our 2017 Pinot Noir Dundee Hills. I cooked these inside on the cast iron skillet so I didn’t have to brave the weather. You can certainly cook them on a hot grill. I served this steak over fresh pasta and mushrooms.
- 1 (1-pound) flat iron steak or 2 if you wish
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus extra for garnish
- 6 tablespoons cold unsalted butter
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 2 1/2 cups dry red wine
Sauce: If you want to make it easier then buy a high quality tomato pasta sauce of your choice.
- Melt 2 tablespoons of butter in a heavy large saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add the onions and saute until tender, about 5 minutes. Season with salt.
- Add the garlic and oregano and saute until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Stir in the tomato paste and cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Whisk in the wine. Simmer until the sauce reduces by half, stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes.
- Remove the skillet from the heat. Strain the sauce into a small bowl, pressing on the solids to extract as much liquid as possible. Discard the solids in the strainer and return the sauce to the saucepan and bring back to a slow simmer.
- Cut the remaining 4 tablespoons of butter into small 1/2-inch chunks and whisk in the sauce a little at a time. Season the sauce, to taste, with salt and pepper.
- Remove packaging and pat meat dry with paper towels. Line a plate with paper towels, place meat on top and set aside to dry further and come to cool room temperature about 30 minutes. Turn occasionally; replace paper towels as needed
- Turn heat to medium-high under pan.
- Sprinkle the steaks with salt and pepper and drizzle with the a little olive oil to coat both sides of the steak.
- When cast iron is hot and smoking place the steak in and cook for 5 minutes on each side for medium rare. Cook for 1-2 minutes longer if you want medium or well done.
- Transfer the steaks to a cutting board. Tent with foil and let stand 5 minutes.
- Slice the steaks in thin strips, and I served over cooked pasta and mushrooms.