Now that we are getting into the colder weather of fall I have been craving more comfort food. So I took a simple recipe that many of us grew up on, and made it better! I thoroughly enjoyed this with the 2018 Pinot Blanc Reserve, but it would also be delicious with pretty much any of our wines, white or red. I hope you enjoy.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon peeled ginger diced
- 2 cloves garlic diced
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1/2 teaspoon cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 15-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 large onion diced
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1/4 cup creme fraiche
- 1/4 cup cilantro chopped
- 1/4 cup crushed pistachios
- 4 buns
- Make the sauce: Heat the olive oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the ginger, garlic and cook until the ginger and garlic brown a little, about 1 minute. Add the garam masala, cardamom and paprika and cook 30 seconds. Add the tomatoes, and 1 cup water, stir and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer, uncovered, 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare the sloppy joes: Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and bell pepper and cook until softened and starting to brown, about 5 minutes. Add the cumin and cook 1 more minute, seasoning with salt. Add the ground beef, breaking up the big lumps, and cook about 5 minutes.
- Add the prepared sauce to the beef mixture in the skillet. Stir and bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and simmer until the mixture thickens slightly, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in creme fraiche, pistachios, and cilantro right before serving.
- Toast buns and fill wi! th sloppy joe mixture.